Money orders are one of the most reliable methods to manufacture spend with, primarily because there are quite a few stores that sell them. Because of their popularity, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of data points around the web regarding money order purchases. This post is a comprehensive list compiling those data points, at least the ones I’ve found.
This is for informational purposes only. Since there are location specific stores, I have not tested all of them. The ones I have tested to work are highlighted. Of course, my experience will likely vary from yours due to multiple different factors (e.g. cashier, store location, time of day, card used, ect.), so YMMV.
Hit the break for the list.
|Family Fare||$0.75||$500||DC, C||15/16|
|Post Office||$0.89-$1.65||$500||DC**, C, TC||3/11|
|Rite Aid||$0.89||$500||DC*, C||6/19|
|Walmart||$0.68-$0.70||$1,000||DC*, C, WM||101/148|
|Walmart Kiosk||$0.20-$0.75||$500||DC, C||2/2|
TC: Traveler's Check
CA: Checking Account
WM: Walmart Money Card
*There have been mixed reports of success with gift cards that do not have your name on them.
**Only certain gift cards work. From my experience OVs seem to work.
If you have any information to add to this post, please don’t hesitate to comment.
- Money Order Prices and Locations
- Where to Buy Money Orders with a PIN-enabled Gift Card
- Flyertalk (1, 2, 3)
- Reddit (1, 2)
- Personal Experiences
- I only used data points from posts and threads dated 1/1/14 or newer.
- As I mentioned above, YMMV on all MO purchases, regardless of what the table says.
- In my experience, I have never been denied an MO purchase at Family Fare, Meijer, or Walmart. Meijer’s systems seem to automatically reject $200 Metacard Visa gift cards. Walmart’s systems seem to automatically reject OVs. YMMV of course.