Disclaimer: This website is monetized by ads, Amazon Associates, CreditCards.com, and other affiliates. As such, this article may contain affiliate links. If you decide to use them, you can sleep easier knowing you're helping me give my cats a better life. :) I really appreciate your support!
Sign-up bonuses are one of the fastest ways to get a large amount of points with very little spend, however, not all points are created equal. For example, a 50,000 point sign-up bonus may not be as valuable as a 40,000 mile sign-up bonus or vice versa. It all depends on what program those points and miles are attached to.
I commonly hear statements and questions like, “I just signed up for a XXX card to get a $100 statement credit after I spend $500 in three months!” or “Can you find me a credit card with a 50,000 mile sign-up bonus and a low spending requirement?” Normally, these types of statements and questions are found outside of the travel world, but the point is the same: You should think twice before signing up for a credit card, especially if you plan to carry a balance (please don’t).
Anyway, here is what that sign-up bonus can get you!
Disclaimer: None of the links below are affiliate links. If you are looking for a new credit card, please take a minute to read the post I linked to above before signing up for a new card.
45,000 Ultimate Rewards Points
- Any flight costing $540 or less.
- 5 round trip tickets from Los Angeles to Hawaii in economy.
- Almost two round trip economy saver awards anywhere in the US.
- Almost one round trip business saver award anywhere in the US and Canada.
- Any hotel costing $540 or less.
- 9 free nights in a standard room at a category 1 Hyatt.
- 5.5 free nights in a suite at a category 1 Hyatt.
- 1.5 free nights in a standard room at a category 7 Hyatt.
- 7 free nights in a standard room at a category 1 Marriott hotel.
- 1 free night in a standard room at a category 9 Marriott hotel.
- 9 free nights in a PointBreak IHG hotel.
- $450 worth of statement credits or gift cards.
- $540 towards a car rental or cruise.
50,000 Membership Rewards Points
- A round trip ticket in economy to northern South America.
- A round trip business class ticket in the US or Canada.
- A round trip ticket to Mexico in economy.
- 10 nights in a standard room at a category 1 Hilton hotel.
- 5 nights in a standard room at a category 2 Hilton.
- 8 nights in a standard room at a category 1 Starwood hotel.
- Pay for $350 worth of product on Amazon with “Pay with Points”.
- Redeem for $500 worth of Farmville credit or other gift cards.
- $250 worth of cash back
- Redeem for 25,000 Starpoints.
50,000 ThankYou Points
- One way flight from the US to Singapore in economy.
- One way flight from the US to Hong Kong in economy.
- 15 nights in a standard room at a category 1 Hilton hotel.
- 7.5 nights in a standard room at a category 2 Hilton.
40,000 Arrival Miles
- Any flight costing $400 or less. You would earn 4,000 miles from this redemption.
- Any hotel costing $400 or less. You would earn 4,000 miles from this redemption.
- $200 in gift cards or a statement credit.
This is not a comprehensive list by any means. It’s more of a, “look what you can do with points/miles” type of post. The possibilities are endless when it comes to points, so they’re a great thing to have and collect!